Banana in Syrup t
his popular Thai dessert is called "Kluay chuam" However, this dessert is strictly for the sweet-toothed. The bananas are cooked in a syrup (sugar and water). Then topped with coconut cream.
- 1 hand nearly ripe bananas (approx. 12 bananas)
- 2 cups clear slaked lime water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cup water
- Peel the bananas, cut each in half crosswise.
- Soak the bananas in slaked lime water for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in plain water, drain and set aside.
- Mix the sugar and water in a brass wok.
- Heat until sugar dissolves, strain through cheesecloth and return to boil over medium-low heat.
- When the syrup starts boiling, put in the bananas and cook over medium heat, stir occasionally until the syrup is thick and the bananas are pale red, then remove from the heat Arrange on a plate and serve.
Tip : The slaked lime water will give the firm texture to the bananas, however it can be omitted in case of unavailability.