Thai babies are fed mashed up banana as easy baby food. One of the first solid foods Thai babies will eat are bananas. Thais also make dried banana chips, sticky sweets, deep fried banana pieces, bananas in coconut milk.. You name it! There are hundreds of ways of preparing banana in Thailand. Thais believe that bananas are very healthy for your body. They have medicinal properties which help with stomach problems and flu. Bananas also have a ton of vitamins. And this recipe call “Grilled Bananas or Gluay Tap” in Thai and basted with sweet sauce. Enjoy!
- 1-5 fruits Namwaa Bananas (for 5 Sticks)
- 5 Sticks for grilling
- 100 gms Dark Brown Sugar (for Sugar Syrup)
- 100 mls Water
- Slice the Namwaa bananas into 3cm thick slices.
- Thread them onto the sticks side ways on
- Grill them until browned and cooked through.
- You can also dry fry or barbecue them.
- Once they're threaded on, bash them with a mallet. (This flattens them and helps break down the fibers making them easier to eat.)
- Grill until brown and cooked through, top with the a sugar syrup or honey.
- For the sugar syrup heat the dark brown sugar and water in a saucepan until dissolved.
- Boil off the water to make the sugar syrup thicker, then pour over the banana.