The fruit from toddy palms can also be eaten and are rich in vitamins A and C, and can be eaten as young fruits, which are soft and juicy and somewhat like lychees but milder and with no pit, or old fruits, which are harder and less juicy. It is this toddy palm pulp that these cakes are made of, along with rice flour, yeast, palm sugar, coconut cream and coconut milk. Toddy Palm Cake they're kind of like sponge cake, a little sweet and different tasting than regular sugar. Enjoy ka!
- 4 and ½ cup rice flour
- 1 cup ripe sugar palm fruit (squeeze the meat)
- 4 and ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 cup sugar
- 3 cup scraped coconut (overripe)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Crush the sugar palm fruit with water in a bowl.
- Put all of juice in a filter cloth bag and squeeze.
- Leave it in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Boil coconut milk with sugar.
- When it's boiling, turn off the fire and leave it cool off.
- In a big bowl, mix sugar palm meat from step1 with rice flour and coconut milk from step2.
- Knead well. Make sure it is really soft.
- Leave it outside for 4 hours.
- Put wet white cloth over top.
- Cut banana leave and make a small cup from it.
- Pour the mix in banana cups or ceramic cups if you can't make one.
- Mix scraped coconut with salt and dress it over top the cake.
- Steam on boiling water for 15 minutes.
When the dough is ready, you will see bubbles on it. Make sure you don't leave the dough outside too long because it will be sour after you cook. Add 1 and 1/2 tbsp. baking powder to safe time and make it fluffy.