This steamed sticky rice pouches with filling or Thai called "Khao Tom Mad" is easy to miss in the market, this dessert is sold all bundled up in a steamed banana leaf which is ingeniously tied with "string" made of shaved bamboo. Hiding inside is some delicious Thai sweet sticky rice with a filling that includes of banana, black bean or tarot.
- 1 2/3 cups sweet (glutinous) rice
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 4 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 8 ounces dried black beans
- 4 small bananas halved
- 8 pieces banana leaf (if you use aluminum foil 6"x10")
- Soak the glutinous rice in water overnight, then drain.
- If you want to included the black beans soak them overnight also and boil until soft.
- Combine coconut cream, sugar and salt in a separate bowl and stir until ingreidnts absorbed.
- Put all of the drained rice in a nonstick pan on low heat, and very slowly add the coconut cream mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Keep stirring over simmering heat until the rice is tender and all of the coconut milk is absorbed.
- This may take up to one hour, be patient and make sure the coconut milk is absorbed. Let it cool.
- Put a small amount of rice on a banana leaf.
- Place a banana on top, cover with more rice and black beans
- Then fold up the leaf and tie securely.
- Repeat until all bananas are used up.
- Steam around 20 minutes.
- Take out from the heat, leave it cool.
- Than unwrap and serve.